||Tanks of Combat Command B, under
General White, first left treadmarks here on German "Holy Soil",
September 18, 1944.
||The Division began frontal assault
on the Siegfried Line, October 3, 1944.
|Second Armored Division patrols
reached the river on November 28 between Linnich and Julich after the
counterattacking 9th Panzer Division and 15th Panzer Grenadier Division
withdrew, in a fighting retreat to the East bank.
||After a forced march of more than
100 miles, the division encountered the western-most prong of the 5th
Panzer Army which consisted of the 2d Pz Div. and destroyed it in the
Celles pocket. The German winter counter-offensive had reached the
deepest penetration here. The battle was fought Dec. 23-28, 1944